Friday, July 24, 2009
Our flight leaves at 12:45 p.m. and we need to be at the airport two hours earlier so we need to check out of our room by 10:30 a.m.
Waiting at the airport was a little bizarre with men walking around with machine guns. Our flight took off on time and we landed at Chicago O'Hare at about 2:06 p.m. (3:06 p.m. EST). Avah was now officially a US citizen! We had to get off the plane and wait in a very long line to go through customs first, showing the customs officer our passports, customs declaration form and our brown envelope. He gave us the brown envelope back in a folder. We then needed to wait and get our luggage from the baggage carousel. This took a long time as well. We had to go to the "oversized luggage" area to get our stroller. We then had to go through another check point, showing the officer our brown envelope. He sent us to another area where we were told to place this folder with our envelope on the desk, park our luggage carts against the wall and wait. Another family who traveled with us was already there waiting. We were called before them and told to go to the next check point. We had to put all our baggage luggage through the security belt for another inspection. We then needed to go to another area, drop off our luggage so it could get on our flight and were quickly told to go up the escalator to go to our terminal. However, we had one more security check point to make and we knew we were running late. We all got through but Nelson had to have his backpack looked at. In a hurry, we ask this man how far our gate was because we were running late and he said it was all the way on the other side of the airport and that it would take us at least ten minutes to get there. So the Clark family began sprinting through O'Hare airport. Nelson held Avah and two carry on pieces I held two carry on pieces (mine and Sophia's) so Sophia was able to run. We were running on the moving sidewalks, weaving through the people. Nelson and Avah was leading the pack followed by Sophia and trailing behind was mommy. I could see Nelson ahead when he reached the gate. He turned around and had this frustrated/angry look on his face and I knew we had missed the flight so I started crying! We were all out of breath and very tired. We had to find customer service for United and see if we could get on another flight. We ended up on a 7 p.m. flight that would get us into BWI at 10 p.m. We called my friends Denise and Robin (who were picking us up at the airport) and my parents to let them know we had missed our flight and would be arriving later.
While getting settled into our seats on the plane I noticed this small, liquid-filled blister/spot on Avah's right collar. I looked around for any others and there was another one on her hair line. Nelson and I were sitting across from one another in aisle seats. I didn't want to draw attention to the other passengers sitting around us. I knew just by looking at the spots that she had chicken pox. Avah felt warm and was getting cranky. I think it was a combination of being tired and feverish.
When we arrived we told Denise and Robin but all was ok. We got to my parents home and spent the night. The next morning Avah had many more spots on her. We ended up leaving early so we could get her to our pediatrician's office (He has Saturday Emergency Clinic Hours).











No comments:
Post a Comment